Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"Poetic Justice"

i have always known that letting out our inner demons most times help us heal or somewhat help put those demons in check. some do it by blogging, some by lashing out at everything around them, some by talking to people about it, some by messing with people (vera) and some by writting poetry. i tend to do some of the aforementioned but still i find out i have more to let out. i guess i have more held up in me than i actually thot.
been reading the unconfusing posts confusednaijagirl had put up since the short minute ago she started blogging, particularly the culture of silence blog post. dont know what or how but it got me thinking about naija, its society and how they take things like this with less than a grain of salt.
anywho, while running thru newspapers this morning, one in particular caught my detention. its headline read,"POETIC JUSTICE" and i was like these slanting island paparazzi people don come again o. KI LO TUN DE? (meaning, whats it this time?) reading on, it then dawned on me, there more to this than just a newspaper headline.
said, story was about how a traumatized -slanting island girl who was sexually abused by her FAMILY FRIEND three years ago- finally broke her silence by letting out demons from her being in the form of a heartbreaking poem and handing it in to her teacher. who acted right and thus got the 48 years old man arrested.
her distressing cry for help, which was submitted as a school homework assignment led to the arrest of her assaulter. the poem wasnt published but excerpts from the poem she wrote is what i retyped below.

"As i lay in bed with tears in my eyes all i could do is ask myself, why?"

she went further...

"He told me if i told anyone, he would beat me"
"No matter what, i'm scared no one would believe me"
"I said NO and screamed for help, but pain was all i felt"
"He touched me and forced me to do things i didnt want to do"
"A loving father is what he's supposed to be"
"But instead he's a rapist that just raped me"
"So as i lay in bed with tears in my eyes"
"all i could do is ask myself, why, oh why?"

reading this and trying to put it together the way she had put it in her homeowrk assignment, i cant help but feel the hurt the lil girl must be feeling. for some reason i dont know, i'm forced to think what if it is someone i know, what if its someone close to me. why do people act like goats who would run after their own offspring.

i dont know wat conclusion to give this piece, the hurt i feel cannot be compared to what the victims feel but it even hurts more to think of how many young nigerian girls are living with this DEMON perfectly engraved in their systems.

make i comot this blog b4 my own demons show face this nite. CAIO like my italian friends would say.

11 comments:

Confused Naija Girl said...

well said. I wish I had broken my silence earlier though. I admire the girl. All i can say is that you never know what people are capable of. I know.

Kafo said...

hmmmm
Are their answers?
I'm still thinking and they seem elusive, I mean... yeah...
Now i am really really really appreciating my childhood.
thanks to the both of u

Anonymous said...

The girl is mighty brave.. i can't imagine how much liver it must've taken her to do something like that... God bless her for sharing and getting out of the cycle.. i hope she's able to heal and get on with her life no matter how hard. The world is a scary place man ChiefO

DiAmOnD hawk said...

not to get away from the topic at hand but CheifO did u get my email?

Jennifer A. said...

She was very brave actually like ONB noted...esp. in a country where inner pain is not let out freely in that way because of the stigma it is associated with...

@ Chiefo...i feel ur hurt too just thinking abt it. Anyways, on lighter issues-->if u let ur own demons out, don't worry we will gang up and KILL them!!! Lol!

chidi said...

Gawd do i feel sorry for d gal! But she was brave enough to actually let her pain out in the end. thats d most important thing. I hope she is able to get on wit her life in the end

Vera Ezimora said...

I dunno what I would do if any man ever laid a finger on my daughter. Hmmm, he will meet his grave that day o!

Chief, great post as usual.

But... err, it's time 2 update!

Anonymous said...

babe e don tey small.. you alright? i miss you

Lowla said...

Uncle Ayo!!
O ga oh.. long time.. Happy Valentino.. Hope all is well..Please I want to ask you something about Filipino food in Md.. but when I see u online sha..!

Vera Ezimora said...

UPDATE!!!!!!

ChiefO said...

vera u dont have the left or right to tell me to update, afterall it took u a while to get over ur GH engagement hangover.