Thursday, October 19, 2006

My first Ghanian party

Hello, man-beings and woman-beings of the blogosphere. i know its been a minute i updated this blog of mine. u guys wont be mad at me for one second. i was getting over somn that was kinda new to me. I EXPERIENCED MY FIRST GHANIAN PARTY!
yes o, i was invited to a ghanian party o. my friend told me almost a month ago so i could have excused myself from not going. i found out a whole bunch of my passies were going so i tagged along too.
i picked my friends, AA, OE and L up at about 10.15. we got there at 10.30pm thinking we were late, to our surprise we were the third or forth group of people to land. picked a sit, waited and waited, while we waited, we got to gisting and cracking up ourselves cos the boredom had started to creep in. anyway the couple who were naming their baby strolled in at about 12midnite. i thot nigerians were the only ones who started their owambe's (parties) late but this one gave a run for our money. after the owners of the party had arrived, i thot the whole thingie was going to start in good time, but was i wrong. i took another half hour for it to start, one the MC wasnt there yet. it was my friends dad who stepped in and all. multitasking as a cameraman and MC, the MC later arrived.
anywho, the thingie went on slowly and the next thing i heard was that they wanted the mama and papa of the baby to come and dance. my friend L was like how are they gonna dance without serving nohin and all. lil did he know that he was in for a shocker. anywho, they danced and soon enough there was soda being served and liquor was on display. L became happy after seeing the liquor but he was still waiting for item number 7. back on track, soda was served, snacks were served, stickmeat (kebab) was served. but my fellow naija people and i were still waiting for the real item number 7. a long minute later, MC asked everyone to come dance and whoever had gifts for the baby should go drop it off and so so and so spot. (we didnt have no gift cos we didnt even know wat the party was for, no be our fault now). people started dancing and i must say ghanian music is nice. at first people were reluctant to get up. then my passies and I stormed the dance floor. come and see how we overtook the whole place with our dance moves. its not easy u know. anywho we danced a lil more, but cos we all had work the next morning, we had to leave early thats when we got to know that item number 7 was to be taken away, with a bottle of sparkling cidar abi wetin be the name again sef. anywho, we said our goodnites and my friends dad was like who is driving? since my friend had made a couple of rounds to the liquor stand. anywho, i was the designated driver. short story long, i saw my friends mum the next day"she also attended the party" and she was like,"wat time did we leave?", "the party was boring" and i was like we left around 2.30am but that it became better later on after she had left.

anywho thats a long summary of my the first ghanian party i experienced.

have a nice day.

5 comments:

Mari said...

So did they serve item no 7? I was thinking they weren't going to serve food at all.

Naija parties are the only african parties I've been to in my life.

ChiefO said...

item number 7 was take away. the food was awesome but if it were a nigerian party. u would eat first then use that energy to dance ur soul out of ur flesh.

Lowla said...

lmao@overwhelmed oh..
gurl looks liek yu have been to a lot of african parties..nice nice..

Chief O.. see u waiting for item 7.. its been a minute I heard that word sha..menu menu menu..men I miss Naija..

ChiefO said...

overwhelmed abeg leave me alone jare. i opted to exercise my fifth amendment right and i still stand by my decision. i might ask my friend L to answer ur question though.

Beautifully Human said...

Chiefo, how could you think that nigerians are the only ones who dont keep to time; dont you know that its an african thing - thats why its called 'african time'.
you guys were even lucky the party started by midnight. a friend of mine went to a wedding reception and the bride and groom didnt show up till past 8pm, the first dance didn't kick off until about 10pm. by that time who you think say go dey there; everybody just chop food, go home!